The Department of Materials Science and Engineering is one of the oldest such departments in the country, dating back to 1902 when the department was originally founded as a School of Ceramics. Located on George Street in a beautiful building (pictured above) that is now the School of Social work, the School flourished and developed an international reputation. In 1964 the School joined the College of Engineering as a leading center of innovation and research. In 2005 research and educational profile had grown to such a breadth that it became the Department of Materials Science and Engineering. Today, it is a large and active department engaged in all important areas of modern materials science and engineering. Read more about our history in the following sections.