Materials Science and Engineering
Dr. Ashutosh Goel obtained his Ph.D. in the area of glasses and glass-ceramics from University of Aveiro, Portugal in December 2009 . His doctoral work was focused upon high temperature glass/glass-ceramic seals for solid oxide fuel cells. After obtaining his doctoral degree, he worked as a postdoctoral researcher (January 2010 – March 2011) in the research group of Prof. José M.F. Ferreira at University of Aveiro in the field of bioactive glasses and glass-ceramics for bone tissue engineering. During March 2011-April 2012, he worked as a ‘Glass Scientist’ at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, USA in the area of immobilization of high-level and low-activity radioactive wastes in glasses. Dr. Goel was employed as a senior scientist at Sterlite Technologies Ltd., India in the area of optical fiber technology prior to his joining the Rutgers faculty in January 2014.
Professor Goel's teaching responsibilities during the 2017-2018 academic year are:
- Fall 2017: Lab II (Materials Characterization), 14:635:353
- Spring 2018: Advanced Glass, 16:635:506 (Graduate Course)
- Member, Technical Committee (TC04) - Bioglasses, International Commission on Glass
- Member, American Ceramic Society
- Associate Editor, Frontiers in Materials (Glass Science) - Nature Publishing Group
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Applied Glass Science (The American Ceramic Society)
- Editorial Board Member, Journal "Biomedical Glasses" (DeGruyter Publishers)
- C. Cao, S. Chong, L. Thirion, J.C. Mauro, J.S. McCloy, A. Goel, Wet chemical synthesis of apatite-based waste forms – A novel room temperature method for immobilization of radioactive iodine, Journal of Materials Chemistry A (2017) In press.
- A. Deshkar, J. Marcial, S.A. Southern, L. Kobera, D.L. Bryce, J.S. McCloy, A. Goel, Understanding the structural origin of crystalline phase transformations in nepheline (NaAlSiO4) based glass-ceramics, Journal of the American Ceramic Society (2017) In press.
- J.S. McCloy, A. Goel, Glass-ceramics for nuclear waste immobilization, MRS Bulletin 42 (2017) 233-238.
- Y. Shaharyar, E. Han, J. Cheng, A. Maron, J. Weaver, J. Marcial, J.S. McCloy, A. Goel, Elucidating the effect of iron speciation (Fe2+/Fe3+) on crystallization kinetics of sodium aluminosilicate glasses, Journal of the American Ceramic Society 99 (2016) 2306-2315.
- Y. Shaharyar, E. Wein, F. Munoz, A. Tilocca, A. Goel, Strucure – solubility relationships in fluoride-containing phosphate based bioactive glasses, Journal of Materials Chemistry B 3 (2015) 9360-9373.
- S. Kapoor, A. Semitela, A. Goel, Y. Xiang, J. Du, A.H. Lourenço, D.M Sousa, P.L Granja, Understanding the composition–structure–bioactivity relationships in diopside (CaO·MgO·2SiO2)–tricalcium phosphate (3CaO·P2O5) glass system, Acta Biomaterialia 15 (2015) 210-226.
- S. Kapoor, A. Goel, A. Tilocca, V. Dhuna, G. Bhatia, K. Dhuna, J.M.F. Ferreira, Role of glass structure in defining the chemical dissolution behavior, bioactivity and antioxidant properties of zinc and strontium co-doped alkali-free phosphosilicate glasses, Acta Biomaterialia 10 (2014) 3264-3278.
- A.A. Reddy, A. Goel, D.U. Tulyaganov, M. Sardo, L. Mafra, M.J. Pascual, V.V. Kharton, E.V. Tsipis, V.A. Kolotygin, J.M.F. Ferreira, Thermal and mechanical stability of lanthanide-containing glass-ceramic sealants for solid oxide fuel cells, Journal of Materials Chemistry A 2 (2014) 1834-1846.
- A. Goel, S. Kapoor, A. Tilocca, R.R. Rajagopal, J.M.F. Ferreira, Structural role of zinc in biodegradation of alkali-free bioactive glasses, Journal of Materials Chemistry B 1 (2013) 3073-3082.
- A. Goel, J.S. McCloy, C.F. Windisch, Jr., B.J. Riley, M.J. Schweiger, C.P. Rodriguez. J.M.F. Ferreira, Structure of rhenium containing borosilicate glass, International Journal of Applied Glass Science 4 (2013) 42-52.
- A. Goel, A.A. Reddy, M.J. Pascual, L. Gremillard, A. Malchere, J.M.F. Ferreira, Sintering behavior of lanthanide-containing glass-ceramic sealants for solid oxide fuel cells, Journal of Materials Chemistry 22 (2012) 10042 - 10054.
- A. Goel, S. Kapoor, R.R. Rajagopal, M.J. Pascual, H.Y.-Lee, H.W.-Kim, J.M.F. Ferreira, Alkali-free bioactive glasses for bone tissue engineering, Acta Biomaterialia 8 (2012) 360-371.
- I. Kansal, A. Goel, D.U. Tulyaganov, M.J. Pascual, H.Y.-Lee, H.W.-Kim, J.M.F. Ferreira, Diopside-fluorapatite glass-ceramics: Potential materials for bone tissue engineering, Journal of Materials Chemistry 21 (2011) 16247-16256.